
Tonight I was reading other blogs and got this idea. For once, I am not going to talk about me. I think for a change, I will talk about people who are important to me. People who have influence on my life. I will make posts from time to time, introducing one at a time and tell a story or make comments about them. Don't worry, if you find yourself up on my list - it's all good stuff! :)
To start this off, let me introduce the most important person in my life. Literally, I wouldn't be here if not for this person.....
Shelley, my MAMA.
See, just like I said. I wouldn't be here if not for her!
My mom was only 17 when I was born. She took on the hardest job of raising a child, starting at such a young age. I turned out not half bad, didn't I? That shows the dedication and love of a wonderful mom. I think the most poignant event (or a series of them) that showed how much she cared and how much she wanted me to succeed was when she fought the school district for a full time interpreter. Let me tell you, she was only about 23 when this all occurred. She spent months fighting the school district to provide an full time interpreter for me in the hearing classroom I was in. Mind you, this school didn't have a Deaf program. I was the only Deaf student in the whole school. At one point, I had to commute to another town to attend the Deaf program half-day and spending the other with an interpreter at my local elementary school. Well, that was at the inistence of the school district. My mom wasn't sastified, she fought them until gradually the school district gave in and provided an interpreter full time for me. Mom again and again showed her dedication towards the best education for me later when I was older by moving a state away, leaving dad behind so I could go to CSD in Fremont, CA. When we arrived in San Francisco, the school district there refused to approve sending me to CSD. What did my mom do? She refused to send me to the local school until they would give in and approve the paperwork for me to be transferred to Fremont. I missed two months of school.
There are so many more stories and instances I can tell you about my wonderful mama. I could probably write a book! But this is just an example why I love her so much and am so thankful to have her in my life. Love you mom!!! OXOX
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Special People in my Universe
Posted by Lyra at 9:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
YES, Def! I got to agree with this.. Miss this Woman Shelley!
Would love to see her again after those Years has gone by...
Miss her!
Post a Comment